Skype for Business (SfB) is ARU’s communication and collaboration tool which offers instant messaging, audio and video chat. You can use SfB to talk with colleagues on other campuses, and for group meetings with internal and/or external colleagues, and students.
You can log in to SfB using your normal ARU username and password. SfB should already be installed on all University workstations, and the Open Access PCs for students.
NB: Skype for Business is not the same as Skype which is not an organisational version, and is one you might use with your personal details.
Send a message to Angela Ruskin using SfB
Today’s activity is to send a message to Angela Ruskin using Skype for Business. That’s not a typo – it does say Angela Ruskin – it’s a test address that has been set up for this kind of thing.
PLEASE post a comment back here when you have attempted the task/s.
We recommend you install it onto your phone/as an app, as it’s very handy, and works very well.
However, if you do not have a smart phone/mobile device, or if you do not wish to install this app on your device, please use the desktop version which is available on all University computers. When you switch on your PC the Skype icon should appear at the bottom right of your screen – double click on it – search for Angela Ruskin, then send her a message. Here’s some instructions if you need them: using-skype-for-business-on-your-university-machine
Install SfB onto your phone/device
Go to your device app store and download the Skype for Business app.
Please watch this 3 minute video to see how to download and install on an Android or iOS device.
- Download the application to your device via your app store.
- Open the application. You may be prompted to specify your preferences for notifications and contact access. Follow all the welcome screens to get to the login page
- Enter your Anglia Ruskin email address and your normal password
- This is the step that lots of people get wrong, so take your time, and make sure it’s a \ that you use. Select Show Advanced options and enter anglia\ followed by your Anglia Ruskin Short username e.g. anglia\jlw1
- Select Sign in. You will then be signed in to your ARU SfB account
- Search for Angela Ruskin.
9. Tap on the Angela Ruskin icon
10. Send your email address as a message. This is just to confirm to us that you have successfully installed SfB.
11. You will receive a reply to let you know you have been successful
If you want to explore Skype for Business further, visit http://arul.ink/skype
IT Services can put on a demo session for your team or faculty, just ask at email@example.com. If you would like a quiet space to try out Skype for Business, or watch any online training materials, check out their IT Training Clinic sessions. Away from the emails and phones, these are staff PC lab sessions facilitated by their IT Trainer.