What digital resources are you using in your work at Anglia Ruskin University?

19257280418_52e8b6b38d_k

In today’s post we’ll look at some of the digital resources we have at our disposal as members of staff. Feel free to dip into the ones you wish to read a little more about by clicking on the titles below.

Apologies in advance if you know about all of these resources – do read on though.

Lynda.com

Free, professional, certificated online courses available to all staff and students – dip in to Lynda for reference, or build your CV by doing courses, get new staff up to speed, teach students skills needed for the task in hand, etc. We’ll be looking at Lynda.com later in the week.

Adobe Products

Did you know staff and students have free access to the most amazing up-to-date Adobe products?  These include Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Bridge CC, Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe InDesign CC, Adobe Dreamweaver CC, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe After-Effects CC, Adobe Flash Professional CC, Adobe Audition CC. Contact IT Services about it if you’re interested.

Poll Everywhere

Poll Everywhere is an audience response system that can be used with live audiences using devices such as mobile phones, tablets, desktops and laptops. It has become hugely popular at ARU, very quickly.

• Institutional Account opened in Aug 2015 (18 months)
  • 2015-2016 licence 5K, 2016 – licence 15K
  • To date – 341 registered staff users – of those, 257 are active users (1 or more polls)
  • Total Polls in the account 9,559
  • Totals responses to Polls – 336,845

By contrast, another institution who has been using PollEv for 6 years recently provided the following stats: Total users 187, Total Polls circa 1,600, Total Responses 37,000

BoB (Box of Broadcasts)

Box of Broadcasts gives you access to millions of free television and radio programmes, and pretty much any film thats ever been on terrestrial television, for all staff and students to use in their work. You have your own area in which you can create collections, share playlists that you’ve created with your staff and students.  Students can do the same, and use programmes easily in their work. You can even create your own programs by taking bits of other films and programmes and editing them together.

MyPlayer

We have our own YouTube style streaming service, MyPlayer, that you can upload your audio and video to. We have Faculty and unit areas with different levels of security that you can put your media into, and share with who ever you want. All staff also have their own private area that they can upload to. You can also create video/audio and upload directly from your phone.

MyCapture

MyCapture is the server where the output of our Lecture/Room/Personal capture system (Echo360) is stored. Film your lectures, presentations, or make a screen cast using the Personal Capture (screen capture) software we have available, and share with your staff and students. There’s hundreds of videos on there, with thousands of views. Contact IT Services if you wish to use Lecture/Room/Personal Capture.

Library and IT support

Our Library has a number of wonderful resources. It’s not an exaggeration to say that their referencing information is used across the globe. The Library website is a good place to start. This is the direct link to their LibAnswers pages, which is the enquiry service fronted by FAQ’s.

IT Services Homepage

Recently updated,  find links to services, software and much more. Why not go and have a look if you haven’t for a while, and see what’s new.

Anglia Learning & Teaching’s new website

We are committed to supporting, recognising and inspiring all those engaged in learning, teaching and assessment at Anglia Ruskin University. Have a look at what we have on offer, from CPD opportunities to awards and recognition, news and regular events.

iTunesU

Anglia Ruskin University has a channel on the largest aggregator of video and audio on the planet. Search for us within iTunes (if you have access to it, apologies if you do not)  – we’ve had thousands of hits from all over the world for some of our videos. Contact Anglia Learning & Teaching if you have content you’d like to share with the world.

Activity:

First, please complete this very short anonymous survey.

Then choose one of the following, or do them both if you wish:

1. Go to one of the links in the main body of this post, and find something you didn’t know you had access to, or that is interesting that you didn’t know was there, and describe it or leave a link to it in the comments section of this blog posts.

or

2. Anglia Learning & Teaching have created the Technology-Enhanced Learning and Teaching (TELT) Menu to help you match technology with the job at hand.

How it works:

• Select a TAB across the top that you are interested in.
  • Then look down the left hand column ‘Approaches to teaching and learning’ to refine your search.
  • Run your eye across to the right and select the arrow in one of the ‘Technology to support and enhance’ sections
  • Click on one of the blue squares to uncover the technology we think you’d find useful in that situation.
  • Post the criteria you searched for and what you found in the comments section of this blog post.

Going Further:

Watch this recent talk about Poll Everywhere delivered by Ian Brown, at one of Anglia Learning & Teaching’s monthly Talking about Teaching seminars and Using Poll Everywhere for Interactivity and Student Engagement presented by Helen Bentham at our 2015 Learning and Teaching Conference.

106 thoughts on “What digital resources are you using in your work at Anglia Ruskin University?

1. Liz Harrison March 7, 2017 / 2:44 pm

I did know about BOB but hadn’t used it before. I signed up and there is loads of stuff on here from TV and radio. I searched for Drama and found lots of programmes from as far back as 2002. There are lots of factual and news programmes which would be useful for some students.

2. Sarah Webb March 7, 2017 / 3:00 pm

I have been working my way through a playlist of videos on Lynda shared by my manager. I have now taken the opportunity to look beyond this playlist and found that there are many more videos on Lynda which look to be very useful, both professionally and personally – I will be taking a closer look at Lynda now so I can discover more things to learn!

3. Edgar Klusa March 7, 2017 / 3:33 pm

As I came to ARU as PhD candidate for exchange program, I learnt a lof of new things that I haven’t known before and which are very useful for work with students and for own work.

4. Alexis Mannion March 7, 2017 / 3:41 pm

Didn’t realise we had access to all of the Adobe suite, just thought it was acrobat 🙂

5. Linda Brown March 7, 2017 / 3:44 pm

I use many of these websites so wanted to find out a bit about the history of one of them. I chose lynda.com. Although there was not a huge amount of information, I did learn that it is 20 years old and now delivers tutorials in 5 different languages.

6. Anna March 7, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Great news about access to Adobe Products (didn’t realize that).

Telling the truth, having extended access to most of them, was a novelty for me.

#ManyThanks @5DoDL #Great news 😉

7. Fidelis Akanga March 7, 2017 / 4:05 pm

I have been using adobe products for some time now in my teaching and is open to trying new digital resources to enhance my teaching

8. Caroline March 7, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Lynda.com is useful for sources about leadership/mentoring, and associated equality information, eg tackling your own subconscious bias when interviewing

9. Ruth Shelley March 7, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Lynda.com is a really useful site. I didn’t know we had access to so many different Adobe products.

10. Erika Sanchez March 7, 2017 / 4:30 pm

I looked into the TELT -> Work-related learning … our courses are extremely practical and we are lucky enough to have several technology tools that facilitate the student’s learning. Videos and images are also frequently used.

11. Philip Howlett March 7, 2017 / 8:20 pm

I hadn’t seen the TELT menu before, and I can see that this will be a useful thing to look at for ideas. I have been using Poll Everywhere for some time, and am keen to develop more technology. I have yet to explore Lynda.com and BoB more, though a quick video from Lynda introduced me to https://learning-objectives.easygenerator.com/ which is an interesting (free) tool for developing learning outcomes for teaching sessions. I am going to try it out over the next few weeks.

12. chris thurston March 7, 2017 / 9:35 pm

It is good to know how many different resources we have for staff and students

13. Michelle March 8, 2017 / 9:13 am

I didn’t know about BoB (Box of Broadcasts) or that we had institutional access to it so i’ll definitely be taking a closer look at that in future.

14. Que Mirza March 8, 2017 / 9:20 am

I visited Anglia L&T website and found information about various upcoming events and other useful information which was very helpful and informative.

15. Rachael March 8, 2017 / 10:35 am

I didn’t know about BOB and that the staff and students had access to it. Looks like it would be a useful resource.

16. Kirstie Smith March 8, 2017 / 3:13 pm

Until recently I assumed everything on Lynda.com was IT related, but I have been given a playlist of all sorts of short courses I can work through. It’s a very handy resource to have access to.

17. Margaret March 8, 2017 / 4:46 pm

Impressed with the number of adobe products we now have access to.

18. Scarlett March 9, 2017 / 9:52 am

Didn’t realize we had access to such a huge amount of Adobe products.

19. Kathryn Aylward March 9, 2017 / 10:28 am

I didn’t know about Poll Everywhere, but it seems like a good way to enliven lectures.

20. Steve March 9, 2017 / 11:29 am

Although I was aware of BoB (Box of Broadcasts), I had not used it before. There are a few gems on BBC Four that I would not have been aware of, even using the iPlayer.

21. Susan March 9, 2017 / 11:29 am

Survey completed, found the short clips interesting

22. Jane Hay March 10, 2017 / 11:19 am

The information about Poll Everywhere was really helpful. Interesting that respondents can use Twitter if it’s set up that way.

23. Paula Langton March 10, 2017 / 11:32 am

I was not aware of the BoB (Box of Broadcasts) and while not directly useful for my work is interesting to know the resource is there.

24. Laura March 10, 2017 / 2:07 pm

I have looked at some of the videos in the myplayer section, I had no idea there were so many around clinical scenarios. These could help speed up some of the time spent showing/demonstrating the skills to the students in the skills lab if the students watched these before practicing in class

25. Sara Donner-Langstone March 10, 2017 / 3:51 pm

did not know anything about Poll Everywhere and it seemed like a very useful system for getting instant feedback.

26. Martin Hewitt March 10, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Video provides dynamic content in an easily accessible and engaging format.

Suggestions:
    •Create induction welcome videos
    •Re-iterate assessment details and requirements
    •Providing a trigger point for discussion
    •Capture Lectures (receiving many plays round assessment time)
    •Provide feedback to students, quickly, easily and privately
    •Demonstrations

Producing a video can also provide learning opportunities for students, for example:
    •Individual student project or group project
    •Filming field work

We should do more!

• Egle Dagilyte March 11, 2017 / 9:39 pm

Absolutely! But these videos should be short(ish): research shows that, for example, long recorded lectures are rarely watched in full.

27. Egle Dagilyte March 11, 2017 / 9:37 pm

Useful question: ‘My document won’t upload to Turnitin. Why not?’
    We could advise our students to go onto http://libanswers.anglia.ac.uk/ for the answers

28. Sarah Elsegood March 13, 2017 / 9:19 am

Library has recently used MyPlayer to capture the experience of logging into some 3rd party subscription reference management software and used this video as evidence to the provider’s technical support staff of some issues needing resolving that couldn’t be replicated by the provider.

29. Hannah Stageman March 13, 2017 / 3:59 pm

I didn’t know about MyCaputure (echo360), as a member of non-teaching staff I haven’t had a student ask about it. Would be interesting to see how it works.

30. Jennifer Little March 13, 2017 / 7:49 pm

Hadn’t fully appreciated the use of Poll Everywhere – will be watching Ian’s talk!

31. Sarah Boateng March 14, 2017 / 2:12 pm

I wasn’t aware of the TELT menu/framework and seeing the use of electronic voting is a useful reminder of what can be done as an icebreaker or closer in a conference setting.

32. Peter Crabtree March 14, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Had a look at Lynda.com I did not realise there were so many different courses, like this one: Getting Started with Technology: Think Like an Engineer

33. janeshelley March 16, 2017 / 11:48 am

Good reminder of what we have access to. Must use Lynda.com more – great resource. Really like BoB and promote as means of catching up on programmes. TELT useful to look at in detail and will make more of resource lists with students, given me some ideas for activities in teaching sessions.

34. Maxine Hall March 17, 2017 / 11:19 am

Our students use Adobe Creative Cloud, but I must admit I hadn’t explored this myself at all. Had a quick look at Dreamweaver and Photoshop, but I think to be able to use it properly, I would benefit from a training session or two.

35. Nicole March 17, 2017 / 11:50 am

I had heard about Lynda.com, but never used it until recently. Useful website to know about with a wealth of video tutorials about all sorts of subject matters.

36. Derek Bowles March 17, 2017 / 3:16 pm

Not used BoB before so tried searching for “soft skills”. Returned a ‘skills for life’ as expected but also returned “1942 and Hitler’s soft underbelly”…….beware what you search for!

37. John Manning March 30, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Due to my job I am aware of all of these , but the one I would recommend would be lynda.com. On this site you will find useful video’s etc on most things required for teaching within the university.

38. Sarah Packard March 31, 2017 / 2:00 pm

I was aware of all of these resources but not had occasion to use them (except as administrator and occasional testing for BoB).
    When time permits need to look in more detail at what is available on Lynda.com.
    I didn’t know that staff could download Adobe Creative Cloud for home use.