13 thoughts on “Sometimes IT goes wrong!

1. Ian Tindal March 10, 2017 / 7:47 am

it happens often when you most need it, I remember in 1999 spending ages preparing a presentation for the launch of a new website I had built for the British Thoracic Society, got to the venue with 30 mins to spare to find no digital projector, only an OHP and a load of blackboards. Had to chalk and talk.

2. Alex March 10, 2017 / 8:03 am

We have all seen IT Failures. Some of them Physical, Some Human, Some 3rd party. It happens to all of us.
    Building Tough and resilient systems is the name of todays IT Game. Multiple Machines working in Parallel or Clusters to accomplish the required task as a Group of machines.
    Even then, that’s only part of the real life story.
    Electrical failures. Backup generator failures. Cooling Failures even simple things like a lead falling out have taken out significant IT systems over the years I have worked here.
    The real judge is the speed that you can diagnose, fix and restore these often complex systems.

3. Norman Boyd March 10, 2017 / 8:16 am

Now if I only listened to my own advice and wrote my blog posts OUTSIDE the blogging tool and then I’d have a back up….but I don’t. So even with experience and knowledge things go wrong. We await the new post with bated breath Jason. As Churchill said “KBO”

4. Erika Sanchez March 10, 2017 / 8:58 am

That’s why I always have a plan B prepared, I know technology can fail so I try to have something prepared just in case it fails…

5. janet March 10, 2017 / 9:09 am

sorry but this makes me feel so much better about IT

6. Plamen Iliev March 10, 2017 / 9:25 am

always plan ahead!

7. jimmcblog March 10, 2017 / 9:44 am

As it’s only a combination of electrical & electronic components, discreet or otherwise, silicon & copper etc depending on ……… Yep, it can & it will go faulty. There’s also ‘User Error’ to account for, mains-failures, plugs not pushed in fully, overheating poss due to poor airflow ~ it’s never guaranteed. Also, not forgetting Murphy’s Law lurking in the background!

8. chris thurston March 10, 2017 / 10:11 am

We are more than the technology we use.
    while Jason has shown us many useful things he has also captured our imagination, a skill we need to use with our students. this is our most important attribute

9. Linda Brown March 10, 2017 / 11:12 am

It can be de-stabilizing when tech goes wrong or doesn’t show up at all. Having said that, like Erika, I try to have a Plan B up my sleeve. I also like to incorporate some low/no-tech into sessions to pull our eyes away from the screen for a break.

10. Raynor March 13, 2017 / 9:36 am

Wen IT goes wrong it brings home how dependent we are on it. I an admin role were for a while we were experiencing power outages all of our work ground to a halt as so much is now stored digitally.

11. Maxine Hall March 17, 2017 / 11:44 am

We are certainly very reliant on our technology. Since the beginning of the year, half my team on thin clients have lost three working days. Those still on thick clients however, were fine…

12. John Manning March 31, 2017 / 9:39 am

Re last comment , this is why when it was proposed to fit thin clients into all teaching areas I objected strongly explaining that this leaves us open to more issues .At least with a thick client even if network is not available I and my colleagues can still get teaching up and running. We also run regular maintenance checks in all teaching areas, we also have temporary systems which can be rolled into position if required. Lastly I would like to remind people that we are only on the end of the phone X4357 so if you have an issue please pick the phone up straight away as the sooner we know the sooner we can fix it ( usually within a matter of mins from receiving the call ) So remember X4357……………..

13. Katrice May 15, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Thank you for the attempt, keep up the great work Great work.